Columbia, Missouri once decided that if people had to buy a license for their dogs, they should also have to buy a license for their cats. Yet only an estimated 2 percent of cats have licenses, which means the other remaining 98 percent of cats in the county are living illegally.

Ideally, fees collected for cat licenses goes to a general fund for the city although some animal activists ant the money to go towards animal welfare programs instead. Whatever the case, the fact that so few cats have licenses indicates that cats (and their owners) either don’t care or are willfully breaking the law. In that regard, cat owners are no different in their contempt for authority than their cats.

To read more about the pros and cons of cat licensing, click here.

[xyz-ihs snippet=”AmazonBook”]