A San Diego woman was asleep when a fire broke out in her home at 1:30 am. She would have slept through the blaze if her cat hadn’t jumped on her and woke her up.

“Thankfully the cat was there,” said Bat. Chief David Gerboth. “Unfortunately the cat did perish in the fire.”

Although it’s tragic that the cat was lost, the woman escaped serious injury thanks to her pet. Perhaps instead of requiring all homes to have smoke detectors, the government should just require everyone to own a cat.

To read more about the brave cat that saved its owner’s life from a fire, click here.

[xyz-ihs snippet=”PetSmart”]