Scott White and his girlfriend, who live in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, went to sleep after setting some onions in the slow cooker to make jam.

A few hours later, around 4:30 a.m., White said his cat, Joey, started pacing around the bed and stuck a paw in his face. When White got up, he saw smoke pouring out from the slow cooker.

Now Scott and his girlfriend call Joey their hero. Even better, the couple had a dog that slept through the whole ordeal, making Joey the cat’s actions even more admirable.

To learn more about the cat that alerted a family to a potential fire, click here.